Mike MacGillivray, Producer: Commercial & Personal Lines Insurance
Proud to join the family business, Mike MacGillivray joins his father, Duncan, and his over 35 years experience in the insurance industry at Shaw, Moses, Mendenhall and Associates Insurance Agency. A long time resident and native of Sierra Madre, California, Mike and his family have long been involved in the greater Los Angeles community through athletics, government, education, and civic and professional organizations.
After attending Loyola High School in Los Angeles, Mike earned a full football scholarship to and graduated from The University of Southern California, starting 4 years and setting 4 school records as USC's punter under legendary coaches Pete Carroll and John Robinson. After briefly coaching for Pete Carroll at USC in 2002, Mike left the coaching industry to begin his business career, spending 13 years garnering experience from and building a background in a variety of industries, while developing and adhering to a passion for civic, organizational, and community involvement. Mike is an avid golfer, guitar player and music producer, and an aquarium enthusiast.
Mike's business career began at MK Diamond Products as a plant production manager where he supervised 30 plant employees and served as a television sales representative, selling MK Diamond's tile saws on the QVC shopping network. Mike later joined Xerox where he was recognized as a 4 time Top Western Region performer, streamlining document management services for small to middle market companies. After his career at Xerox, Mike joined Merrill Lynch, where he earned his Series 7, 66, and Life and Health Insurance Licenses, and remained in finance for six years, working with a variety of companies both on the retail advisory and 401(k) consulting sides of the industry. Mike left the financial industry to start his own online advertising firm, Branded Online Advertising, where he developed, coordinated, and managed online marketing and advertising strategies for entertainment and ESPN affiliated collegiate websites. Following his tenure at Branded Online Advertising, Mike joined Guitar Center Stores, Inc., where he worked on the retail management and logistics side of the industry.
Passion for Coaching
Prior to joining Shaw, Moses, Mendenhall and Associates Insurance Agency, Mike received an opportunity to return to one of his great passions: coaching. Mike founded and launched Kicking1on1, an organization that guides, mentors, and provides private, personalized instruction to youth, high school, and collegiate kickers, punters, and snappers. As Kicking1on1's Head Instructor, Mike takes great pride in giving back to his students, helping them achieve their goals, both on and off the field. www.kicking1on1.com.
Leadership/Board Service/Organizational Membership
Mike has been honored to serve on the USC Alumni Association Board of Governors Executive Board, the USC Trojan Football Alumni club Executive Board, as a USC Ambassador, Board Member of Catholic Big Brothers, Big Sisters, and as an Associate Member of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses.
- Community Associations Institute (CAI), Business Partner, 2017 - Present
- IIABCAL (Insurance Brokers Of California), Lead Up Committee - Present
- IBA-BGP (Insurance Brokers Of Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena), Board Member, 2017 - Present
- USC Risk Management / Insurance Advisory Council, 2016 - Present
- USC Alumni Association Board of Governors Emeriti, 2010-Present
- USC Ambassador, Present
- USC Alumni Association Board of Governors Executive Committee Member, 2008-2010
- USC Alumni Association Board of Governors, Board Member, 2007-2010
- Chairman, USC Board of Governors Alumni Awards Committee, 2010
- Chairman, USC Board of Governors Student Outreach Committee, 2009
- USC Alumni Association Young Alumni Council, 2008
- USC Alumni Association Liaison, Speaker for Freshman Orientation, 2008,2009
- Trojan Football Alumni Club President-Elect, 2009
- Trojan Football Alumni Club Vice-President, 2008
- Trojan Football Alumni Club Board Member, 2006-2010
- Catholic Big Brothers Big Sisters, Board Member, 2006-2008
- Chairman, Catholic Big Brothers Big Sisters Awards Gala, 2007
- Pasadena Tournament of Roses, Associate Member, 2005-2007
- Kicking1on1 Head Instructor and Coach, 2010-Present
Industry Awards, Xerox, Mr.Copy Sales Agency
- Recognized as 2nd Quarter Top Western Region Performer, July 2004
- Recognized as 1st Quarter Top Western Region Performer, March 2004
- Recognized as 4th Quarter Top Western Region Performer, December 2003
- Recognized as 8 Time Monthly Top Western Region Performer, December 2003 - July 2004
- #1 Ranked in New Hire Training Program, September 2003 - December 2003, $188,215 Revenue Generation
- David X. Marx Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award Inductee, 2002 (USC)
- National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete Award Finalist, 2001 (USC)
- Howard Jones Incentive Football Alumni Club Award for Highest Cumulative GPA, 2001 (USC)
- Academic All-Pac 10 Team, 2001 (USC)
- Earned a Full Five Year Football Scholarship to The University of Southern California, 1997
- National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete, 1997 (Loyola High School)